McDonogh Wrestling
The Worthington Cup was established in 1987 in memory of Page Worthington,
stepfather of 1967 McDonogh graduate Chuck Campbell and 1971 Gilman
graduate Tyler Campbell.

Mr. Worthington’s enthusiasm and support of the Gilman-McDonogh wrestling
programs spanned three decades.  He never missed a dual meet from 1964 to
1986, and often attended many other meets at both schools.  His presence was
an inspiration to all who knew him.

The wrestling tradition in the Worthington/Campbell family began in 1919 when
Edward T. Russell, Great Uncle to Chuck and Tyler, became head coach of the
Gilman program.  A member of the Gilman faculty from 1915 to his retirement in
1963, Mr. Russell was head wrestling coach until 1958, and then an assistant
coach into the late 1960s.  He started the Maryland Scholastic Association
(MSA)  in 1921, the predecessor to today's Maryland Interscholastic Athletic
Association.  His humble approach to sportsmanship and competition won him
the admiration of many people throughout Maryland and the country.  Mr.
Russell was also renowned for his expertise of the Latin language.

From 1936 to 1939 Richard L. Campbell, father of Chuck and Tyler, wrestled for
the varsity team at Gilman, winning the MSA tournament title in the 120 lb.
weight class in 1939.  

Chuck Campbell was a member of the McDonogh varsity wrestling team from
1964 to 1967.  He was  coached by Ray Oliver.  As captain for the ‘66 and ’67
teams, he was defeated in the ‘66 dual meet by Gilman wrestler, and current JV
coach, Chris Legg.  Chuck however avenged that loss by defeating Mr. Legg in
the finals of the MSA tournament.  Chuck also was named Most Valuable
Wrestler in 1967 having defended his title in the 127 lb. class.  Chuck returned
to McDonogh as a wrestling coach from 1974 to 1976.

Tyler Campbell wrestled for the Gilman championship varsity teams from 1968
to 1971.  Eddie Brown was his coach during those years.

Additionally, Bill and Bob Denison, cousins to the Campbells, wrestled for
McDonogh from 1968 to 1971.

Awarded annually to the winning team of the regular season dual meet, the
Worthington Cup went to Gilman from 1987 to 1999.  Since 2000 the Cup has
had it’s home at McDonogh.  The late Mrs. Richard Davis, wife of the late Page
Worthington and Mother of Chuck and Tyler, enjoyed gathering at center mat
following each meet to present the Cup to the winning team from 1987 to 2005.  
Today the tradition continues as Chuck and Tyler present the Cup to the
winners.
Worthington Cup
W
o
r
t
h
i
n
g
t
o
n

C
u
p